Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Small ink line art

During most of the 1960's through 1977 about 75% of my illustration work was black and white ink line drawings. Below is a sketch of me in my studio with my faithful dog Angus, who was always hanging around.

Me working
In 1973 I did the illustrations for a book titled GREAT TALES OF HORROR AND SUSPENSE. I did the line art for the Dracula section including several large ink line drawings and quite a few smaller spot illustrations which are shown here.

Drac 1

Drac2

Drac3
The art was rendered with a Crowquill pen with brush accents using India ink. It was a fun assignment and a real break from some of the Detroit automotive work that I was involved with at the time. Randy Mulvey, my New York during that period, landed this assignment for me as well as a series of Dracula paperback covers.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, I see some resemblance between your drawing of yourself, top right of the blog, and your drawings of Dracula. Did you use yourself as a model, by any chance?--Or am I the victim of an overwrought imagination?

--Bob Cosgrove

Randall Ensley said...

So prolific Harry! Great posts!

Steve said...

Love these,Harry.

Harry Borgman said...

Hi Anonymous,
No, I used a good friend of mine as the model for the Dracula drawings.
Thanks Randall and Steve for your comments.

Oscar Solis said...

I like your studio set up. I've always thought that was a great way to work as everything, but everything seemed to be in reach.

I love the black and white work. Your line work isn't overdone and has the casualness of confidence. What was your favorite nib? Lately I've been using an esterbrook 048 falcon. I have to fistfight people on ebay to get these :). Seriously, it's a great nib. Ever used one?

Harry Borgman said...

Hi Oscar,
Thanks for you comments. A good deal of my commercial work was black and white ink line drawings.I usually use either a technical pen or a Crowquill pen, also brushes. I have never used the Falcon pen.