Friday, February 13, 2009

Fun with travel art

TC 13
My rough layout sketch and the finished newspaper ad.

Typical of the newspaper ads that I designed for Transcontinental. The art was done using the scratchboard technique which creates a very strong image. You couldn't miss these ads, they really popped off the page which was cluttered with other travel ads.

TC 14

These are more examples of some of the art that I did for Transcontinental's ads and Universal International Tours brochures.

TC 15
TC 16

These sketches are based on photos that were taken on various trips. The drawings were interesting touches for Transcontinental's ads and brochures.

2 comments:

Vince A said...

I recognise these drawings very distinctly. I originally saw them in your "Drawing in Ink", way way back in 1982. It was the first drawing book I encountered and the most influential to me, together with your "Art and Illustration Techniques.

Those two books inspired me to paint and draw for years. I never had my own copies of those books and monopolized the copies from the school library.

Let me take this opportunity Mr Borgman to thank you "personally" for the fun I had.

You introduced new words to my vocabulary: "Designers colors", gouache, Winsor & Newton, red sable, crowquill, Hunt 102, Pelikan, Rapidograph, Koh-I-Noor, and so on.

Harry Borgman said...

Hi Vince,
I'm pleased that you checked out my blog and thank you for your kind comments. It's wonderful to learn that young artists were influenced by my books.
Harry