Friday, December 23, 2011

3 paperback covers from the 1960's

In the 1960's I painted a few paperback book covers, mostly science fiction subjects. It was more fun than doing advertising illustrations. However, my main source of income was from advertising work and the deadline demands usually were brutal enough that I had to limit my branching out in other fields. I think that I managed to do about 20 book cover illustrations. The 3 posted here were recently found on line at an internet book store. I lucked out with Dr. Futurity as it was an Ace double with The Unteleported Man on the reverse side. I now wish that I had pursued this field more as I really enjoyed doing these illustrations.

BkCov1

BkCov2

Bk

5 comments:

Randall Ensley said...

Good post Harry! Love that 60's sci-fi! Very nice.

Claes said...

Classic stuff indeed.If its not a rude question, what media? Gouache, colored inks? Up to your usual high standards.Happy Xmas.

Harry Borgman said...

Hi Claes,
Thanks for your comments. I use acrylic paints for most of my illustration work.

Vince A said...

Hi Harry,

Can you talk a bit about how work doing covers for paperbacks are done? I'm curious about what information you are provided prior to doing the work. Like, do they give you a summary of the story or do they just give you an idea of what they want?

Also, have you ever read any of the stories when they were published?

Happy new year!

Vince

Harry Borgman said...

Hi Vince,
Sorry about the delay in answering your questions, I was out of town for a bit. Sometimes the art director will give you an idea of what they want illustrated for a cover, other times they will let you take the time to read the book and ask for what I think will make a great cover. At times I have done a sample illustration and they use it for a cover without me reading or getting info from them. It varies all over the lot.
Harry