Monday, July 26, 2010

Two more new paintings

I've been very busy for the last few days completing a couple more abstract figure studies.
NudeInTheMood
NUDE IN THE MOOD

NM1
The first stage of a new painting is to cover the blank canvas with tones so that I can judge better if the color and values are working well together. Taped to my drawing board is a sketch which I use as a basis for the composition and color. Often I alter the design quite a bit. The sketch was created on the computer.

NM2
Even at this stage I often change colors, values and even shapes as I see how the work is developing.

NM3
JUBILANT MUSE
After many hours of decisions and color changes I finally reach the point where I feel the painting is finished. However, sometimes days later I may still do a few minor color corrections. These paintings are basically color and design studies based on the sketches.

No comments: