Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Ink line art

For many years I specialized in ink line drawings, These are sample illustrations that I did which illustrated Edgar Rice Burroughs' stories. Some of them were used as covers for the fanzine ERB-dom. I also sold these as a series of prints at comic book conventions. These samples were used by my art reps to show to potential clients. I will show some of the work that resulted from these samples in a later blog.

Beyond Thirty Art 1
This illustration was based on the book BEYOND THIRTY. I used my wife and one of my students as models for this drawing.

Beyond Thirty Art
A close up showing the detail in the rendering which was done using a Crowquill pen on Whatman's hot-pressed illustration board.

Tarzan Line Art
Illustration for TARZAN OF THE APES.

Time's Abyss400
Illustration for OUT OF TIME'S ABYSS. This drawing appeared on the cover of ERB-dom #26, June 1969. I'll post more of these ink line illustrations on Friday.

For the past three years I have been working on a series of comic book cover parodies and decided to turn some of the above art into covers, below are the results. I exhibit theses covers as 13 x 10" signed, limited edition prints in galleries and art centers.




Vince A said...


I mentioned a few weeks ago how much I enjoyed your books while I was in university. It might interest you to know that that was in Manila, the Philippines.

I'm curious: I do not recall you ever mentioning in any book of yours any artist that inspired you. Who was "your Harry Borgman?"

Bill Hillman said...

Would you be interested in sharing some of your Edgar Rice Burroughs-related art in an ERB Artist Profile on yourself in our Official ERB Websites?

Bill Hillman
Editor and Webmaster for the
Official Edgar Rice Burroughs Websites and Webzines

Harry Borgman said...

Hi Vince,
Countless artists have inspired me, a short list would be; Lou Fine, Simon & Kirby, Will Eisner, Noel Sickles, Milton Caniff, Al Parker, Steven Dohanos, David Stone Martin, Fred Ludekens, Stan Galli, Jacob Landau and Robert Weaver. Also a lot of artists in the fine art field.

Harry Borgman said...

Hi Bill,
I would be interested in sharing my ERB-related art in your websites. Just let me know what you need and where to send it.